I know this is the second time I'm going to be writing a blog about this, but I forgot about the true absurdity (in my opinion) about the questioning of Judge Sonia Sotomayor’s reliability if she was to serve on the Supreme Court when I stumbled upon an article from one of my favourite columnists in the Austin American Statesman, John Kelso. In the article by Kelso, “Want answers from Sotomayor? Ask the right questions”, Kelso pokes fun at the fact that the questions that were asked were similar to a dog chasing its own tail – they went nowhere and what everyone was trying to get Sotomayor to reveal wasn’t discovered. Kelso then goes on to say they should have asked questions that would “scare out some fascinating details about her”, such as asking her who her favourite Beatle is, the funniest thing she’s ever put ketchup on, or whether or not she lifts her arms up while on a roller coaster. When putting the real questioning and Kelso’s version of the questioning side by side, I see the similarities in them. Yes, I know there’s so much more to this whole situation that I don’t know or understand but if I was to explain my opinion of the government at the moment, I would use Kelso’s article as an example that is dead on and portrays everything that I would have to say. It seems to me that the government spends a good time creating unnecessary drama when that energy could easily be put spent into other things. Hey, maybe I just haven’t done all my homework and need to dive in to what the government is doing more, but it’s worrisome that someone gets the type of opinion I do just from hearing about a single event.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment